We are on a quest to visit all the National site in Arizona….today we visited Casa Grande Ruins National Monument in Coolidge, AZ. If you know Arizona you’d think that the Casa Grande Ruins would be in the city of Casa Grande, but not in AZ.
Anyway, I use to work in Florence, AZ which is a few minutes from Coolidge. I passed by this monument many, many,many times while working in Florence and never visited.
This is pretty much what we saw from the road. A covered structure. But, I needed the stamp for my book to make it official. And guess what? I forgot my book at home!! I know I couldn’t believe it! Luckily they have pieces of paper to get a stamp for all the nimrods who forget their books.
Anyway, a couple of thought from visiting:
- There were about 20 cars in the parking lot from 6 states and Canada
- Nice visitor center, nice rangers
- No hiking, short walk around the ruins. There are guided tours if you are interested.
- This is a short visit stop, if you visit make sure you have somewhere else to go in the area.
- Casa Grande means Big House in Spanish.
- The experts are not sure what this structure was used for
Would I visit again? No. Not a lot here and you can see it from the road (though not all the details) and not worth the stop.